Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHAT IS VANGUARD?
Vanguard Saga of Heroes is a fantasy, massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in the vast world of Telon, an ancient world of magic, intrigue and adventure. Join a community of thousands of players online as you traverse breathtaking and seamless lands. Battle fierce opponents with a groundbreaking, dynamic combat system that forces you to react to your opponents as you tie together devastating combinations of attacks. The challenge awaits the boldest of heroes.
2. WILL DEVELOPMENT EFFORTS CONTINUE ON VANGUARD?
Yes! Development efforts will continue on Vanguard. It is a vibrant and evolving world.
3. AS A FREE PLAYER, HOW MANY CHARACTER SLOTS DO I START WITH AND HOW MANY CAN I BUY?
As a Free player, you will start with four character slots. If you purchase a Gold membership, you'll have 12 slots available. Additional character slots can be purchased from our in-game Marketplace by both Free and Gold member players, up to a maximum of 20.
4. WHAT CHAT, IN-GAME MAIL AND BROKER RESTRICTIONS DO FREE PLAYERS HAVE?
There are no chat restrictions for any of our players. Both Free and Gold members can use the Mail and Broker systems, but members receive a discount on in-game coin transaction fees.
5. HOW MANY LEVELS ARE THERE IN THE GAME?
Free players and Gold members can achieve up to level 55 in Vanguard in any race or class.
6. CAN I FORM MY OWN GUILD?
Yes, any Vanguard player can form or join a guild, regardless of player status.
7. WHAT ITEMS CAN FREE PLAYERS EQUIP?
Free players can equip any items that are designated as common (green) and uncommon (blue). Free players may also equip some items of rare or higher rarity, limited on a case by case basis. Items that aren't equippable by Free players are labeled in game as "Gold membership required." These items can be individually unlocked for Free players by purchasing an Unlock Item potion from our in-game Marketplace.
8. WHAT KIND OF HOUSING IS AVAILABLE IN THE GAME?
Vanguard's robust player housing system is available for all players. Free players can own a single house, while Gold members can own two.
1. I USED TO PLAY AS A VANGUARD SUBSCRIBER BEFORE IT BECAME FREE-TO-PLAY. WHAT DOES THIS CHANGE MEAN FOR ME?
If you have an active subscription when the free-to-play conversion takes place you will automatically be converted to Gold membership status, with full perks and privileges. This conversion will be seamless and you will not need to do anything for the conversion to take place. Your Gold Membership will continue as long as your subscription remains active.
If you cancel your Gold Membership you will be converted to Free when your Gold Membership expires.
Previous Vanguard subscribers who did not have an active subscription at the time of the free-to-play conversion will automatically be converted to the Free membership.
As a special thank you to players who have ever had a subscription to Vanguard, characters of all levels that were created before the free-to-play conversion will all be available regardless of your membership type. In addition, these players will have 12 character slots (or your previous maximum number, whichever is higher) available on their account regardless of their membership type.
Characters that existed before the Free-to-Play conversion will have access to all items that are currently on their characters, regardless of the membership flag on the items. They will also have access to items currently in the bank regardless of slot limitations. New items will not be able to be placed in the bank beyond the slots normally granted to Free members, and once items are removed from these restricted slots they will not be able to be placed in the bank in excess of normal limitations.
2. I DON'T CURRENTLY PLAY VANGUARD OR ANY OTHER SOE GAMES, BUT I DO HAVE A STATION ACCOUNT. CAN I TRY VANGUARD USING MY OLD STATION NAME AND PASSWORD?
Yes, you can! Click here to download the game now.
3. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TRIAL?
The ability to create trial accounts has ended. All current and previous trial members will be converted to Free Player status. If you took part in a free trial months ago, your characters will still be waiting for you (subject to restrictions based on your membership level).
1. HOW MUCH DOES VANGUARD COST TO PLAY?
Basic access in Vanguard is free. Gold membership costs $14.99 per month. (See below for more details on memberships and pricing.)
2. WILL I NEED A CREDIT CARD TO PLAY THE GAME?
A credit card is not required to play Vanguard as a Free Player. You can log into the game without entering any payment information. If you do decide to purchase a Gold membership or buy items from the Marketplace, you will need to use one of the available methods of payment (including credit card, a Station Cash card, PayPal, or SMS).
3. WHAT ARE STATION CASH AND THE IN-GAME MARKETPLACE?
Station Cash is Sony Online Entertainment's virtual currency. It's simple and easy to use. All of your Station Cash is stored in a digital wallet that can be accessed in any of our games. Once your wallet has been funded, you can use Station Cash to make purchases through the in-game Marketplace. The in-game Marketplace is an integrated store where you can purchase an assortment of premium in-game items, services, content and features to enhance your gameplay experience. You can purchase mounts, appearance items and more. For more information on Station Cash, view the FAQ here.
4. IS IT NECESSARY TO PURCHASE STATION CASH IN ORDER TO PLAY VANGUARD?
No, purchasing Station Cash is completely optional. However, if you would like to buy additional in-game items from the Marketplace, you will need to use Station Cash.
5. HOW DO I PURCHASE STATION CASH AND WHAT IS MY WALLET?
Your Station Wallet is your digital wallet where you store Station Cash. Station Cash can be used across a wide variety of SOE games. You can fund your wallet within Vanguard. Click on the Station Cash button to reach the Marketplace. The Marketplace is the destination for in-game purchases and where you can fund your wallet. Once in the Marketplace, click "Add Funds" and follow the on-screen instructions. There are several denominations to choose from. The system will automatically verify your credit card on file or you can add a different credit card. You can also use Station Cash cards, Pay Pal and SMS to fund your wallet.
6. WHAT ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE VANGUARD MARKETPLACE?
There are a variety of items available in the Vanguard Marketplace. You can purchase everything from mounts, illusions, house items, bags, armor, experience potions, and more. These are all optional items and are not required for a great gaming experience.
7. DOES THE STATION WALLET WORK BETWEEN VANGUARD AND OTHER SOE GAMES?
Yes! The Station Wallet works between Vanguard and many other SOE games. For more information on the games that accept Station Cash, click here.
1. WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN FREE AND GOLD MEMBERSHIPS?
The features and benefits of Free and Gold memberships are detailed on the Vanguard membership matrix page.
2. WHAT IS INCLUDED FOR FREE?
When you begin playing Vanguard, you default to the Free level of play. That means you have access to most of the content in the world of Telon. You can create characters in any class, of any races, and you will have tons of gameplay at your fingertips. However, there are certain content, feature, and service limitations that are only unlocked through a la carte item purchases or by upgrading to paid membershipr (view matrix). Internet access is required to play and is the players' responsibility.
3. WHAT IS INCLUDED WITH THE GOLD MEMBERSHIP?
A Gold membership is $14.99 (view matrix). There are also three, six and 12-month memberships available.
- Twelve character slots (instead of four included with the Free membership level)
- Ability to equip any items (subject to normal game play restrictions)
- 50% XP boost
- Gain faction at double the normal rate
- 20% discount on broker fees, mail fees, riftway fees, item repair, and housing upkeep
- Can purchase 2 housing plots
- In progress: Improved odds at receiving rare loot drops.
- Granted 500 Station Cash per month
- 10% discount on in-game Marketplace purchases
4. WHY SHOULD I UPGRADE MY ACCOUNT TO A GOLD MEMBERSHIP?
Quite simply, more features and valuable discounts! Upgrading to the monthly Gold membership gives you access to 12 character slots per server, a 50% XP boost, ability to buy a second housing plot, 20% discount on broker fees, mail fees, riftway fees, item repair, and housing upkeep, and the ability to gain faction at double the normal rate.
5. I HAVE AN ALL ACCESS MEMBERSHIP. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR VANGUARD?
As a SOE All Access Member you will receive the equivalent of the Gold membership. However, this Gold access is only available while you have an active SOE All Access Membership.
6. IF I DECIDE TO DOWNGRADE FROM THE GOLD MEMBERSHIP TO FREE, WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE GOLD PERKS I HAD WITH THAT MEMBERSHIP?
You don't lose anything permanently, but Gold membership content will become inaccessible to you until you repurchase a Gold membership.
- Character Slots: When you downgrade from Gold, all characters that are on the account will still be visible to you. Only your top four Characters will be available for play. For players who subscribed previous to Vanguard going free-to-play, you will still have 12 character slots available even if your membership is set at Free level.
- Items: Items currently equipped will remain usable, but will not be equippable again if you unequip them for any reason. You will not be able to equip any new items beyond those normally equippable by Free players.
- Housing: Upon reverting to Free status you will no longer be able to pay upkeep costs on your extra housing plot if you purchased an extra one via the gold membership. Results of normal housing decay will still apply.
- Station Cash® Bonus: Any player with a recurring membership will receive 500 Station Cash® per month as long as they stay on an auto-renew payment plan. If you have a recurring membership but you cancel or purchase a non-recurring membership, you will no longer be on an auto-renew payment plan and you will immediately stop receiving the monthly Station Cash bonus even if you have time left on your existing membership.
- Boosts and Discounts: Once your account downgrades to Free Member, it will no longer benefit from the %50% XP boost and double faction bonus. Your account will also no longer receive a discount on broker fees, mail fees, riftway fees and item repair.
1. HOW CAN I DOWNLOAD AND PLAY VANGUARD?
2. WHAT IF I NEED CUSTOMER SERVICE HELP BUT I AM A FREE PLAYER?
All users have access to our Knowledge Base where they can find answers to commonly asked questions. Players who have purchased Station Cash or Gold Membership may contact Customer Support for assistance with gameplay or performance issues.
3. ON WHAT PLATFORMS IS VANGUARD AVAILABLE?
Vanguard is available exclusively on PC.
4. WHAT ARE THE PC SPECS FOR RUNNING VANGUARD?
Minimum system requirements:
- Windows® 7, Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or Windows® Vista
- Pentium® 4 equivalent or greater
- 1 GB RAM
- NVidia GeForce 7800/ATI Radeon X800 Pro
- DirectX compatible Sound Card
- 56.6K + Internet Connection
- 20.0+ GB Available Hard Drive Space
- DirectX 9.0c